1) Pick up form.
Oops, daughter spills sauce on form.
2) Pick up form.
Oops, form is not available from rural post office.
3) Pick up form from St Andrews. In stroke of genius, pick up two copies against repeat of spillage.
4) Wife picks up yet another form from another post office, though technically not really necessary I suppose.
Ok, now get respected colleague with right letters before his name to fill in form and sign photo.
5) Do check and send service at Post Office in St Andrews.
Oops, respected colleague signed outside the area covered by the photo. Yes indeed, the area covered by the photo on the other side of the paper which you can't see. However check and send is civilised. You only pay once and you can go back when you have fixed the problem. So get respected colleague to sign again on the other photo.
6) Do check and send in Cupar.
Oops, second check has to be at the same post office as the first. Why why why why? Ok I'll pay again.
Oops, unsigned photo has to be completely blank, not with remnants of colleague's signature on it.
Scream. Write post.
7) Mythical future trip where I get passport applied for.